Dozens of spa hotel guests taken to hospital due to chlorine poisoning

An emergency operation was launched at the Solent Hotel & Spa in Whiteley after two chemicals were accidentally mixed together to create dangerous chlorine gas

Twenty four people were rushed to hospital after hotel guests were overcome by fumes at a spa in Hampshire.

An emergency operation was launched after two chemicals were accidentally mixed together to create dangerous chlorine gas.

The Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service (HIWFRS) were called to the four-star Solent Hotel & Spa in Whiteley at around 8.45pm yesterday.

It has been described as a “large-scale” incident by firefighters, Hampshire Live reports.

Paramedics were called, and affected patients were taken to hospital.

A Hazardous Area Response Team was at the scene and ventilation was in progress by breathing apparatus teams.

Station Manager, Dave Graham, said: “This was a large-scale incident with multiple people requiring medical treatment for the inhalation of gas.

“We worked well alongside our colleagues from SCAS and SCAS HART to make sure that everyone received the help they needed and to ensure that the scene was made safe.

“We handed the incident over to the hotel management.”

Some people reported suffering itchy eyes as a result of the fumes.

Fire crews left the scene at 1.27am today

Reporter Rob Edwards said he was met with a calm scene this morning, stating: “Certainly doesn’t seem like a place that was evacuated during the night. There are families coming and going.

“No emergency services in sight. Seems from the outside a normal functioning four-star hotel”

We’ll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story.