Woman critical after ‘two cardiac arrests and three seizures’ when ‘drink spiked’

The woman was left fighting for her life after the incident at a Birmingham city centre bar where the actions of staff and then paramedics helped to stabilise her condition

A woman suffered “two cardiac arrests and three seizures” as paramedics fought to save her life after her drink is claimed to have been spiked at a bar.

The woman was in a “critical condition” when ambulances arrived at Henman & Cooper in Birmingham city centre last Saturday.

Fortunately, the staff – including one of the door team who is a trainee paramedic – had stepped in to perform CPR just after 9.30pm to help the woman.

She was then treated by paramedics, but her condition “rapidly deteriorated” and she was left needing advanced life support on scene, reported BirminghamLive.

West Midlands Ambulance Service confirmed she was rushed to City Hospital on blue lights for emergency treatment.

A spokeswoman for the service said: “We were called at 9.31pm on Saturday to a medical emergency on Colmore Row, Birmingham. We sent two ambulances to the scene.

“On arrival crews found a woman in a critical condition. During initial treatment, her condition rapidly deteriorated and crews quickly commenced advanced life support on scene.

“Once stabilised she was conveyed by land ambulance on blue lights to City Hospital for further emergency treatment.”

Henman & Cooper told BirminghamLive it was taking the incident very seriously and wished the victim a “rapid and full recovery”.

The spokesperson for the venue added that they were working alongside West Midlands Police and licensing to assist with their investigation.

They also thanked the team, including the member of staff on the door who played a crucial part during the victim’s ordeal.

A full statement from the club read: “We would like to address an incident which took place at Henman & Cooper over the weekend.

“Firstly we would like to say that we are taking the incident very seriously, we are shocked that this type of incident has happened on our premises.

“It was an horrendous experience for all involved, we wish Nicole a rapid and full recovery.

“We’d like to thank our team who showed great strength and their experience saved Nicole’s life, luckily one of our door team is a trainee paramedic which was a crucial part of this positive outcome on this occasion.

“We’re working with Nicole and professionals to investigate and address the incident, we’ve spoken with police and licencing who’ll be assisting us with our investigation.

“We have rigid procedures in place to try and prevent incidents like this. We’ll be reviewing all policies to see if anything can be improved or added to make procedures more rigorous.

“To all our customers, please be aware of your surroundings most people are there to enjoy their evening just like you… but unfortunately some individuals take advantage when our guard is down, we’re relaxed and trying to enjoy ourselves.

“These people will be unearthed and their predatory behaviour exposed.”

It continued: “Socialise safely, report suspicious behaviour and keep your drinks and friends close.

“We have a wealth of experience, reach out to us if you ever feel unsafe. We run both ‘Ask Angela’ and ‘Good Night Out’ campaign’s in our venue – reach out, stay safe.”